Motherland: Fort Salem is an American drama series created by Eliot Laurence that premiered on Freeform on March 18, 2020. The second season premiered on June 22, 2021 on Freeform and Hulu. On August 23, 2021, it was announced that the program had been renewed for a third season, which will be the program's final season. Showrunner Eliot Laurence stated that the third season would "ramp up the insane stakes of the finale with an epic, scary, satisfying ride, all the while getting deeper into witch’s ancient origins."
The show is about a trio of witches who are trained to become powerful weapons for the American military.
Set in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution nearly 300 years ago by cutting a deal with the U.S. government to fight for their country, “Motherland: Fort Salem” follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into early deployment.
In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped, with the more dominant women on the front lines fighting looming terrorist threats that are familiar to our world—but with supernatural tactics and weapons.
- Taylor Hickson as Raelle Collar
- Ashley Nicole Williams as Abigail Bellweather
- Jessica Sutton as Tally Craven
- Amalia Holm as Scylla Ramshorn
- Demetria McKinney as Anacostia Quartermain
- Lyne Renee as General Sarah Alder
- Kai Bradbury as Gerit Buttonwood
- Sarah Yarkin as Libba Swythe
- Annie Jacob as Glory Moffett
- Tony Giroux as Adil
- Emilie Leclerc as Izadora
- Thomas Elms as Clive Garland
- Guilherme Babilônia as Augustin Alcala
- Kylee Brown as Khalida
- Linda Ko as Nessa Clary
- Jill Morrison as Berryessa Tansey
- Rhianna Jagpal as Hilary Saint
- Victor Webster as Blanton Silver
- Mellany Barros as Penelope Silver
- Praneet Akilla as Gregorio
- Ess Hödlmoser as M
- Arlen Aguayo as Nicte Batan
On March 5, 2019, it was announced that Freeform had given the production a straight-to-series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The series was created by Eliot Laurence who was also expected to executive produce alongside Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Kevin Messick, Maria Maggenti, and Steven Adelson. Production companies involved with the series were slated to include Freeform Studios and Gary Sanchez Productions. On May 14, 2019, an official trailer for the series was released.
In May 2020, the show was officially renewed for a second season. On February 26, 2021, during the Television Critics Association winter press tour it was announced that Season 2 would premiere summer 2021, along with a little tease about what’s to come for the witches of Fort Salem.
Behind the Scenes
- - ‘Motherland: Fort Salem’ Gets Freeform Premiere Date & New Trailer – TCA
- It’s a witch’s world. #MotherlandFortSalem returns Summer 2021 on @FreeformTV and @hulu.
- TVLine - "Motherland: Fort Salem Renewed for Third, Final Season — Watch Teaser"
- Motherland: Fort Salem Season 2 Gets Summer Premiere on Freeform