Scylla Ramshorn is one of the main characters in Motherland: Fort Salem. She is portrayed by Amalia Holm.
She is a playful yet dark and mischievous recruit who is not what she appears to be.
Scylla's parents were draft dodgers. They moved from place to place often with other dodger families. As a child, Scylla visited a beach called Labor-in-Pain for a week and describes it as the last place she felt free. At some point, she dated Porter Tippet - another dodger kid, but ended it when she disappeared.
When she was sixteen, her family was moving across the Cession and got new identities and Scylla started school. When she arrived at her house, military police were there. Her parents surrendered but were killed anyway to make a point. Scylla was hiding in the garage and did nothing. She pledged to fight in their honor.
When the call came on Conscription Day, Scylla said the words and joined the military in an attempt to beat the army at their own game. She performed well and went into the Necro division. A year after this, she went to a Spree armory and was given a balloon and instructions. She went to a mall on Conscription Day and compelled 1600 people to jump to their deaths, but not without some hesitation.
Throughout the Series
Scylla is a second year cadet at Fort Salem, in the Necro division. She meets Raelle Collar and they instantly connect. Scylla convinces Raelle to try a drug, salva, and they float high in the sky together until Anacostia catches them. Anacostia warns Scylla to stay away from Raelle.
Later on, in her dorm room at the school, Scylla is using the face of another girl, which reflects a balloon in the mirror. Then when a coin she'd charmed to drop when Raelle passes by alerts her to the approach of the latter. She burns her face and reverts to her original appearance just in time for Raelle's arrival, and they start to kiss.
Scylla continues to try and deceive Raelle and the other witches, while secretly supporting her plan from The Spree. She asks her leaders for extraction soon but they tell her to stay the course and to continue to deceive the witches at Fort Salem.
Unexpectedly, on the eve of Beltane, Porter, a male witch and former lover of Scylla, arrives and recognizes her. He is shocked to see her, knowing her past and how her parents died. Scylla sees Porter and kisses him in order to entrance him. She whispers words in his ear to influence him into jumping to his death. She later sees Raelle just before she loses consciousness after trying to link with and heal Porter.
As Raelle got hurt while trying to save Porter, Scylla is seemingly worried about her. Raelle continuously asks Scylla about her past with Porter and she dodges the questions until Scylla eventually admits having strong feelings for Raelle. This confession makes Raelle stop asking question and promises Scylla to always be with her no matter what. This is the moment when Scylla starts to question her loyality towards The Spree as she was falling for Raelle.
Scylla doesn't get an invite to Charvel Bellweather's wedding, so instead she disguises herself as a server to sneak in and then change back into her clothing. Scylla communicates with the Spree in the bathroom at the wedding; she asks questions about Raelle's safety to make sure. However, the Spree doesn't give her a trust and tells her "Bring her and no more questions." While these were happening, Tally was also in the bathroom. After finding out the truth about Scylla, Tally immediately tells Anacostia that she thinks Scylla is part of the Spree. Meanwhile, Scylla and Raelle dance and get closer. She tells Raelle "No matter what happens, I love you." and right at the moment, Scylla chooses to betray The Spree since she fell in love with Raelle.
After The Spree attack at the wedding, Scylla seems to disappear. She leaves the pin that Raelle gifted her behind on the floor.
According to Izadora, Scylla was killed in the wedding attack. However, Scylla is alive, in chains, and being interrogated by Izadora, Anacostia Quartermain, and Sarah Alder for her involvement in the Spree attack.
Anacostia tries to use whatever means possible to interrogate Scylla, who resists her attempts. Anacostia eventually brings Raelle in to make Scylla vulnerable. Scylla kisses her and tells her not to believe every bad thing they say about her and to know that she loves her. Anacostia manages to read Scylla's memories to see where the Spree armory is, as well as discovering that Scylla was the one who attacked the mall on Conscription Day.
Alder gives the order to send Scylla to prison, but Anacostia has her doubts that it's the right move, thinking that Scylla might be willing to be turned against the Spree. Anacostia goes to talk to Scylla and Scylla requests to see Raelle one more time. Scylla tells Raelle she loves her and that her love was real and never fake, even though Raelle was her target.
Anacostia comes to see Scylla again to inform her that she is being picked up for jail in two hours. Anacostia suddenly frees Scylla and tells her to "hold on to the part of you that's good". She gives her a lighter and tells her to make the escape look "good". Scylla knocks out Anacostia and disguises herself as Anacostia and walks out.
Scylla escapes and goes straight to a house and says a code to enter. Scylla goes into the kitchen where a woman welcomes her back. She turns around and it is revealed that her Spree cell leader is Raelle's mother, Willa Collar. Willa tells Scylla she was supposed to bring her Raelle.
- Raelle Collar - girlfriend/in love with
Scylla has short, dark brown hair and is of medium stature. She has bright ocean blue eyes.
Powers and Abilities
Witch Physiology: As a witch, Scylla is capable of creating change in the natural world by generating different sound frequencies with her voice. She specialized in Necro at Fort Salem and was one of the best in her year.
- Persuasion: Scylla uses this power to eliminate Porter. After whispering the words "I am filled with unbearable sadness," into Porter's ear, he throws himself off the rooftop of her apartment. She also uses this on a man in the elevator of the Spree’s bottling factory, to make him unaware of the sixth floor. In Irrevocable, she persuades Marcus Tooms to drive her and Willa to the Camarilla hideout.
- Animal Communication: Scylla can communicate with birds, as she did in "Mother of All". It is also a basis for her avian pushing work.
- Pyro-Shapeshifting: By holding a lighter up to her chin, she can burn away her face and regrow another person's face and body beneath. Scylla uses this repeatedly throughout the series. The most notable examples of faces she's stolen in season one include the brunette girl's face she used for the Spree's mall attack, the auburn girl in Fort Salem, General Helen Graves, a waitress to infiltrate the Bellweather wedding, and Anacostia to escape Fort Salem custody. Season two examples include a different auburn girl, an elderly woman when out with Anacostia, Bonnie in Not Our Daughters to kill Shane, Marcus Tooms in My 3 Dads and Irrevocable. In the episode Breanna's Favorite Pencil, it is shown exactly how she steals the face of another person, which is by engulfing the person's face in flames and inhaling the smoke. The Work doesn't seem to leave any long-term harmful effects, as shown through Marcus Tooms appearing several times afterwards unharmed.
- Levitation: By using Salva, Scylla can levitate several feet off the ground, as she did with Raelle in the forest.
- Motion-Sensing Trap: Using a coin as a medium, she set up a trap to fall over and alert her when significant movement is detected, such as when Raelle walks by her apartment.
- Mirror Communication: Scylla can communicate with the Spree using mirrors.
- Life/Death Force Conversion (Death Cap Generation): When in the cemetery with Raelle, she sprouts a death cap mushroom from a bird's corpse.
- Heat Generation: In an attempt to spoil Porter's corpse before her Necro class could open a death current and reveal her as his killer, Scylla stares at the thermometer and mutters intensely to herself, causing the room to heat up and the mercury in the thermometer to rise.
- Death Current Manipulation: With the help of Izadora, during the precise hours that Beltane’s energy is most concentrated, the class is able to use Porter’s corpse as a medium. The combination of all the energy of Beltane, in conjunction with the precise seed sounds, allows for the opening of a death current. This allows them to communicate with Porter and discover the last things he saw and heard.
- Linking: Scylla creates a link between herself and Raelle so that she can communicate with Raelle. This “link” shows up as a scar in the shape of an “S” in her palm.
- Fetch Negation: A Fetch is a supernatural double or aspiration of a person, similar to a doppelgänger, however is not a ghost, but a double of the original person. When Anacostia uses a Fetch to eavesdrop on Willa and Scylla, the latter identifies the face-shaped specter in a wooden board on the roof of the house and uses unknown seed sounds to negate it.
- Windstrike: On Samhain, in Breanna's Favorite Pencil, Scylla windstrikes Marcus Tooms across the room at the Camarilla party after Anacostia kills the Power-Dampener. In Irrevocable, her and Willa windstrike the guard at the check-in point of the Camarilla hideout.
- Windshear: In Delusional, Scylla protects Tally, Abigail, and Raelle from the storm that Abigail creates during her delusion.
- Mental Manipulation: Off-cannon work which is used by the Spree. By lacing Work within certain sounds, such as a balloon popping, anyone within hearing range will suffer from life-like delusions which manipulate victims to commit suicide. In Delusional, Scylla notes that this type of Work is "localized" and "takes a lot of energy to maintain." The witch using it would need to remain close in proximity. Scylla uses this kind of Work with the use of the Spree’s balloon to make all of the civilians at the mall to jump to their deaths.
- Pushing - Pushing work allows witches to manipulate the actions of others, through the use of hallucinations and delusions.
- Avian Pushing: Inspiring herself from Nicte's usage of bats as a medium for work, Scylla used a bird to make a small group of people dance. She named this work "Morrigan's Whisper". Scylla also uses this work to free the unit from the prison bus. Having the guards free the unit and leave the area.
- Willpower: Scylla is able to resist the army's attempts to get her to reveal information on the Spree, including Anacostia's telepathy.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a former soldier, Scylla is in top physical condition
- Off Canon Work
- Salva: During her time at Fort Salem, Scylla used Salva to levitate with Raelle.
- Lighter: As part of the Spree, Scylla uses a lighter to shapeshift.
"Live a little!"Scylla to Raelle in Say the Words
"Don't say anything, I need to get this out of me before I freak out and shut down and run away. I like you, okay? I have feelings for you, and they're not something I'm used to having ... not something I'm used to dealing with. I'm a dodger, which means no attachments. Because things go away, we go away.
I haven't learned to get past this, but I'm trying."
- Despite stating that her family history is not on the stone that shows it, the fact that Scylla possesses a medal and is a cadet at Fort Salem contradicts this. In order for her to have a medal, the army would have had to have knowledge of the Ramshorn family for her to receive the call on Conscription Day.
- It is possible that she was lying or unaware of this fact.
- It is also possible that the army removed recognition of Scylla's family after her parents dodged, but kept their birth records.
- Scylla maintains a facade of a remorseless mass murderer around people she doesn't trust. Deep down, she questions her choices both out of guilt for the death she caused as well as fear that Raelle would stop loving her if the fixer knew the sheer amount of senseless deaths she has participated in.