Scylla is one of the main characters in Motherland: Fort Salem. She is portrayed by Amalia Holm.
She is a playful yet dark and mischievous recruit who is not what she appears to be.
History[edit | edit source]
Scylla's parents were draft dodgers. They moved from place to place often with other dodger families. As a child, Scylla visited a beach called Labor-in-Pain for a week and describes it as the last place she felt free. At some point, she dated Porter Tippet - another dodger kid, but ended it when she disappeared.
When she was sixteen, her family was moving across the Cession and got new identities and Scylla started school. When she arrived at her house, military police were there. Her parents surrendered but were killed anyway to make a point. Scylla was hiding in the garage and did nothing. She pledged to fight in their honor.
When the call came on Conscription Day, Scylla said the words and joined the military in an attempt to beat the army at their own game. She performed well and went into the Necro division. A year after this, she went to a Spree armory and was given a balloon and instructions. She went to a mall on Conscription Day and compelled 1600 people to jump to their deaths, despite her regrets.
Throughout the Series[edit | edit source]
Scylla is a second year cadet at Fort Salem, in the Necro division. She meets Raelle Collar and they instantly connect. Scylla convinces Raelle to try a drug, salva, and they float high in the sky together until Anacostia catches them. Anacostia warns Scylla to stay away from Raelle.
Later on, in her dorm room at the school, Scylla was using the face of another girl when a coin she'd charmed to drop when Raelle passes by alerts her to the approach of the latter. She burns her face and reverts to her original appearance just in time for Raelle's arrival, and they start to kiss.
Scylla continues to try and deceive Raelle and the other witches, while secretly supporting her plan from The Spree. She asks her leaders for extraction soon but they tell her to stay the course and to continue to deceive the witches at Fort Salem.
Unexpectedly, on the eve of Beltane, Porter, a male witch and former lover of Scylla, arrives and recognizes her. He is shocked to see her, knowing her past and how her parents died. Scylla sees Porter and kisses him in order to entrance him. She whispers words in his ear to influence him into jumping to his death. She later sees Raelle just before she loses unconsciousness after trying to link with and heal Porter.
As Raelle got hurt while trying to save Porter, Scylla is seemingly worried about her. Raelle continuously asks Scylla about her past with Porter and she dodges the questions until Scylla eventually admits having strong feelings for Raelle. This confession makes Raelle stop asking question and promises Scylla to always be with her no matter what. This is the moment when Scylla starts to question her loyality towards The Spree as she was falling for Raelle.
Scylla doesn't get an invite to Charvel Bellweather's wedding, so instead she disguises herself as a server to sneak in and then change back into her clothing. Scylla communicates with the Spree in the bathroom at the wedding; she asks questions about Raelle's safety to make sure. However, the Spree doesn't give her a trust and tells her "Bring her and no more questions." While these were happening, Tally was also in the bathroom. After finding out the truth about Scylla, Tally immediately tells Anacostia that she thinks Scylla is part of the Spree. Meanwhile, Scylla and Raelle dance and get closer. She tells Raelle "No matter what happens, I love you." and right at the moment, Scylla chooses to betray The Spree since she fell in love with Raelle.
After The Spree attack at the wedding, Scylla seems to disappear. She leaves the pin that Raelle gifted her behind on the floor.
According to Izadora, Scylla was killed in the wedding attack. However, Scylla is alive, in chains, and being interrogated by Izadora, Anacostia Quartermaine, and Sarah Alder for her involvement in the Spree attack.
Anacostia tries to use whatever means possible to interrogate Scylla, who resists her attempts. Anacostia eventually brings Raelle in to make Scylla vulnerable. Scylla kisses her and tells her not to believe every bad thing they say about her and to know that she loves her. Anacostia manages to read Scylla's memories to see where the Spree armory is, as well as discovering that Scylla was the one who attacked the mall on Conscription Day.
Alder gives the order to send Scylla to prison, but Anacostia has her doubts that it's the right move, thinking that Scylla might be willing to be turned against the Spree. Anacostia goes to talk to Scylla and Scylla requests to see Raelle one more time. Scylla tells Raelle she loves her and that her love was real and never fake, even though Raelle was her target.
Anacostia comes to see Scylla again to inform her that she is being picked up for jail in two hours. Anacostia suddenly frees Scylla and tells her to "hold on to the part of you that's good". She gives her a lighter and tells her to make the escape look "good". Scylla knocks out Anacostia and disguises herself as Anacostia and walks out.
Scylla escapes and goes straight to a house and says a code to enter. Scylla goes into the kitchen where a woman welcomes her back. She turns around and it is revealed that her Spree cell leader is Raelle's mother, Willa Collar. Willa tells Scylla, "You were supposed to bring me back my daughter."
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Physical Appearance[edit | edit source]
Scylla has short, dark brown hair and is of medium stature. She has bright ocean blue eyes.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Powers[edit | edit source]
- Levitation: By using Salva, Scylla can levitate several feet off the ground, as she did with Raelle in the forest.
- Pyro-Shapeshifting: By holding up a lighter to her chin, she can burn away her face and regrow another person's face and body beneath.
- Coin Trap: A coin placed outside of her apartment fell over as Raelle walks by, seeming to alert her as Raelle approached.
- Life/Death Force Conversion (Death Cap Generation): When in the cemetery with Raelle, she sprouts a death cap mushroom from a bird's corpse.
- Persuasion: After whispering the words "I'm filled with unbearable sadness" into Porter's ear, he throws himself off the rooftop of her apartment. She used this on a wider scale with a Spree balloon to cause mass suicide.
- Heat Generation: In an attempt to spoil Porter's corpse before the Necro class could open a death current and disclose his true killer, Scylla stares at the thermometer and mutters intensely to herself, causing the room to heat up and the mercury in the thermometer to rise.
- Linking: Scylla created a link with an incantation so she can communicate with Raelle by tracing letters over her hand.
- Mirror Communication: Scylla can communicate with the Spree using mirrors.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Salva: During her time at Fort Salem, Scylla used Salva to levitate with Raelle.
- Lighter: As part of the Spree, Scylla uses a lighter to shapeshift.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
"Live a little!"
Scylla to Raelle in Say the Words
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Despite stating that her family history is not on the stone that shows it, the fact that Scylla possesses a medal and is a cadet at Fort Salem contradicts this. In order for her to have a medal, the army would have had to have knowledge of the Ramshorn family for her to receive the call on Conscription Day.
- It is possible that she was lying or unaware of this fact.
- It is also possible that the army removed recognition of Scylla's family after her parents dodged, but kept their birth records.